Thursday, June 21, 2012

"We can only be heros for one day"

Ok so today was kind of a quiet day which was alright by me because we have been going a hundred miles an hour since we got here. Today my class took another walking tour around the city. We started out at Postman's Park which had this really neat memorial for heroes who died saving someone. It was interesting to see how young they were, most fell between the ages of eight and twenty. It is amazing how selfless people can be! There was some wall art that I wouldn't have notice if my professor wouldn't have pointed it out, it was done in chalk and has been there since the eighties it says: "We can only be herod for a day." I think that it fits the memorial so well and it is amazing that the chalk it is written in has stayed around this long. It was probably my favorite thing of the day and we were only there for ten minutes tops. After that we went to St Bartholomew's Church which has been standing for over nine hundre years! The building was so beautiful! At one time it was a monaserty. Although I think they have commercialized it way to much; you had to pay to get in and then pay more to take pictures, they also had a gift shop and a cafe which sold beer. Actually in the cafe I bought a coke and they served it to me in a wine glass which I thought was kind of funny. But I still don't think it is right to commercialize the church like that and I dont even attend church regularly, I think that it takes away from the meaning behind it. They have done the same thing with St Paul's cathedral, which was the next stop on our tour. I didn't go in though because me and Sarah will do that later. After class I went and got lunch at subway ( which is easy to find now because I have discovered there is wifi in the city and I can google map everything now! So much easier!) but when they didn't have the cheese I wanted the guy just assumed i would want American haha he must have picked up on my accent. Right after lunch it started to pour the rain an as soon as I found a shop I could get an umbrella at on the way home it stopped rain the second I bought it haha just my luck. This afternoon me and Sarah went to the museum of London which I have already been to but Sarah wanted to go so we went it was cool to get to show Sarah around I felt like I really knew what I was doing! On our way home we stopped at a book store up the street from us and it was a store that the owner had created all the books in there some by hand, it was more like art. It was so cool! Sarah didnt really like it but I could have spent hours in there. Then by seven we were home and had eaten dinner and I was able to just relax and unwind. And it is looking like I will get in bed before one in the morning! In the words of Porky the Pig: That's all folks!

1 comment:

  1. Sadie,
    You amaze me everyday! I couldn't be more proud of you. You are such a special bright young lady with a heart of gold. When did you grow into this amazing young lady? It warms my heart to hear you describe all the things that you are seeing and feeling. I love you <3 Be safe and have fun!

    ReplyDelete